Sunday, July 22, 2012

Sometime early on last year, I (Roger) saw an Audiologist (basically an ear doctor). After going through all of the procedures, the doctor finally determined that I had nerve damage in my left ear. What started out as loss of about 70% of my hearing, along with a ringing and hissing sound turned out to be more that just tinnitus. Now I guess you could say that in my younger years, sitting behind a trap set (drum set for those of you who attend or went to Banning High), waling relentlessly, pounding away to hard rock 'n' roll tunes might have had something to do with my hearing loss. Back then, I would beg to differ, but now,...I am so totally regretful. But, I thank God for my wife Judy, who is not only a talented singer, pianist, music arranger and cook, but also because she has one of the most sensitive hearing capabilities I have ever witnessed in my lifetime. Why she's so musically conscience, that if you strike a chord, she could tell you what key it is without looking at the finger positioning. Now, forget America's Got Talent, it's more like Judy Rocha's Got Talent! She has been a wonderful help especially in the studio when it comes down to mixing the tunes we've recorded. She'll catch all the levels and basically figure out what needs to be balanced, adjusted, refined and/or corrected.
The point I'm getting to if you haven't guessed yet, is vocalization and pitch control (staying in tune while you're singing for those of you who attend or went to Banning High). The last post I wrote touched on the tuning of instruments and how important it is that you do so for every performance whether it be at rehearsals with the band, performances in public (especially then) or merely just practicing on your own. STAY IN TUNE PEOPLE! Now, even more importantly, this same reasoning applies to VOCALS. With my hearing deficiency, I have good days and plenty of bad ones as well. For instance, if we're performing at Mass and I have the lead vocal on the 1st song. I start to sing and out of the corner of my eye, I can see my lovely wife Judy leaning over and loudly whispering: "YOU'RE OFF!" I pretty much back away from the mic and give up singing until I feel or should I say, until get the OK from Judy that my control is back. I do not, I repeat, I do not have a problem with someone telling me "Hey, your off key!". I will do whatever I can to correct the situation either immediately, or taking some time, or just shutting up completely. Again, I have no problem with that! Anything to save the overall performance for the band's sake.
However (finally arriving at this week's topic), there are more than just a hand full I'm talking hundreds, maybe thousands or so) of quote unquote bad singers out there, who are like those American Idol contestants that simply won't take no for an answer. Who think they know more that the judges. Who just haven't had anyone ever tell them: "you know, maybe you should look seriously into some vocal coaching for yourself". On occasion, as church choir directors, you come across of these types. Usually 10 times out of 10 the choir is volunteer and you don't want to discourage anyone by saying don't come back, you're making the rest of us sound really sucky. You need to find a medium, while maybe working with them on a one to one basis before or after rehearsals. Telling them if they really want to take seriously what they do that maybe some vocal coaching classes at a local community college could help. Or as we have done in the past, place them as far away as possible from any overhead microphone there might be. Should they ever come up to you and ask if they could sing "solo" at sometime, you respond with a big smile on your face and say: "You? Solo, sure, like all by yourself,....maybe at home,...in your shower?". I know that they are there singing along, praising God, doing what they presume is the best job that they can, with all of their hearts, but in actuality, it can bring down any performance not to mention the morale of the other members in the choir. So directors, do what you think is best, handle your situations, take them personally not lightly. Be the example and teacher, help those who need help and may not see or realize it. If they take offence, so be it, but it's all part of the bigger picture and they need to understand, comprehend, but most of all accept and in good spirits make the proper choices and/or sacrifices. Now, if the whole choir is singing in unison and off key? That my friends, is just plain unclaimed recognisability (for those of you who attend or went to Banning High, look it up). Until next time, God Bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment